You want prospects to find you. If you’ve been reading our posts, you understand that creating quality content is the single greatest driver of traffic to your website.
If you are an astute small business owner, you have begun writing regular content via blogs. (If you’re still unsure how to do this, please see our post on blogging)
Are you sharing these via Social Media? Facebook, Google +, Twitter, and LinkedIn all provide avenues for sharing valuable quality information.
Now there is a way to connect all the dots! Google Authorship is Google’s way of identifying an author of web content and evaluating the quality of the content. If you create online content, Google wants to know who you are by way of your Google+ photo posted along with the content.
This is great from many perspectives. The days of anonymous content written by unknown authors or ‘spammy’ messages are numbered. Google’s Author Ranking has the potential to be the strongest algorithmic signal for SEO since the Hyperlink. Developed in 2011, it will be fully implemented by the end of 2013, giving search engines the filters necessary to determine authenticity. This algorithm will highly influence the search engines indexing, or order.
How it works:
• Author Rank does not replace Page Rank. It is a separate system which instructs Google Page Rank to sort out content more appropriately in conjunction with your Google+ profile. If you don’t have a Google+ profile set up, you’ll need to do so.
• Quality and consistency remain the most important factors in building a strong reputation with Author Rank, and will position you as a trusted expert in your business or industry.
• Websites that contain established authorship will enjoy higher click-through rates than those who haven’t. Your profile photo will now display next to the content you post. Having the photo of the author is a clear identifier that you are, in fact, a real human. It catches the eye and creates a relationship with your readers.
• Your visitor will be able to read other articles you’ve posted by clicking on ‘More By’ which will appear.
What you need to do:
1. Create a Gmail account, or if you already have one, login.
2. Visit http://plus.Google.com and set up your profile. Be sure to fill in all fields, including a professional photo. This photo will be the one that is viewed every time search results show your content.
3. It’s very important that you fill in the ‘Contributor To’ section. List all websites you post content to here.
4. Do one of these tasks:
a) Link your content to your Google+ profile using a verified e-mail address, or;
b) Set up authorship by linking your content to your Google+ profile using these instructions: http://support.google.com/webmasters/
5. If you use WordPress (highly recommended by the Creative Muse) there is a Plugin available for Google Authorship.
With just a little effort, your website will have much better SEO ranking and your content will be viewed as authoritative and trusted.